Employers today use social media as a key strategy in sourcing talent and sharing information about their organizations. Many also use it in screening applicants and monitoring social behavior of their employees. It is critical that, as an applicant and a professional, that you are intentional about building and maintaining your online brand.
• All of your personal information on the web can and may be viewed by employers.
• Be aware and in control of your online image/brand.
• Use LinkedIn as your primary social media job search tool
• Avoid using Facebook to interact with professional contacts, but do use it to “like” companies and organizations of choice.
• “Follow” your target organizations on Twitter.
LinkedIn is a professional networking site being used today by millions of members in over 200 countries around the globe. Executives from all Fortune 500 companies are members. It is home to over 37,000 college and university alumni groups, including many from EKU. It is a valuable tool to connect with alumni and qualified professionals and to research potential employers.
When you start your free account at www.Linkedin.com, you will create a professional profile that summarizes your expertise and accomplishments. You can then invite trusted individuals to connect with you. Their connections become your connections.
Below are some links to help you connect:
• LinkedIn.com/studentjobs – Student internships and jobs for graduates
• LinkedIn.com/college/alumni – See where EKU alumni work, what they do and where they live